Friday, September 14, 2012

Galleys!



The page proofs for the next Sebastian book, What Darkness Brings, arrived on my doorstep this week. Galleys are, for the author, the last stage in a novel's long path from manuscript to printed book. At this point, I've addressed my editor's suggestions, reviewed the copy edited pages, given my (limited) input into the cover, and helped write the "cover copy" that tells prospective readers what the book is about. This is the last time I'll see a book before it is published (and yes, sometimes changes are made by someone after I see the galleys, sigh).

"Galley proofs" get their name from the days of hand-set type, when print was manually set up, page by page, in metal trays known as "galleys." "First pass pages" would be run off, which were sent to the editor and author to check for errors. Any necessary corrections would then be made by the printer before the final copies were produced. Of course, these days, most of this is done electronically, but thank heavens I still get actual paper pages to look at, because I have a hard enough time spotting errors as it is, without the added difficulty of trying to read a manuscript on a screen. Most authors will tell you that the brain has a terrible tendency to see what it expects to be there, not what actually is there.



Galleys can be frustrating, since when they arrive I have to stop work on the book I am currently writing and turn away for a few days to do something else (particularly frustrating this time since I just lost over a week to Isaac). But since I know my readers are looking ahead to this book, and not even thinking about Why Kings Confess, which is my own focus at the moment, I thought you might enjoy seeing that things are progressing!

On a side note, one of my readers sent me a link to some more of my covers. These are some Russian editions of one of my romances--another red Midnight Confessions. Thank you, Irin!







14 comments:

SandyH said...

Absolutely cannot wait for the next book. When I discovered this series - I devoured them by borrowing from my local library and then I had to own my personal copies. So I bought them all!

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Thank you for sharing this news! Sebastian and Hero and Paul and all are always in the back of my mind and I will wait as well as I may for this next in the series ... LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and also the one page (yep, I blew it up and read it). And did I miss the naming of the next book, "Why Kings Confess"? Any hints as to why it is named this? I think this is the first time you told us the name? Or did I miss a post? Here's hoping your clean up after the hurricane went quickly without too much unexpected coming into play. I've already got my copy of What Darkness brings on order and am just waiting for kindle version and audio versions to show up so I can order them too. (I like to cover all bases - oh, and well, support you too :-) Sabena

Charles Gramlich said...

So cool about the Russian versions. I've seen a few of my poems translated into Hungarian, but I've never had a book translated. I would sure like to see such a thng.

cs harris said...

Sandy, thank you!

Barbara, if you like Gibson, you're going to REALLY like Why Kings Confess.

Sabena, did I not announce the final title? It comes from something said in relation to the mystery, which is all tied up with the French royal family and the Lost Dauphin. I should post the first chapter...

Charles, what's really frustrating is that while they're supposed to send me copies, very few do, so it's a shock when I happen to see them on Google images or someone sends me a link. And frequently, as in this case, I don't have a clue which books they are unless someone tells me.

TMD said...

Teresa
Oh that's great :-) and also Really good to know that there 's another title already on the page. I love this series so am also sorry to see that 'last' word mentioned they're such wonderful characters I'd like to see go on into their dotage.

Is there another Tobie in the offing as well? Greedy, I know but they're all favorites.....
Thank you for them all

cs harris said...

Teresa, I didn't mean to imply that Why Kings Confess will be the final book in the series, only that the title has been finalized! Sorry. And I do have another Tobie idea, but at the moment my editors want me to focus all my attention on the Sebastian series. I'm just not a very fast writer.

Liz said...

So exciting to see that the next book is moving toward publication. This is my current fave series, especially when narrated by
Davina Porter. I design hand knitting patterns and spend a lot of time knitting, so audiobooks keep me going.

briana said...

Yay!! I can't wait til the next book is out!! I think I read the last one in a day and a half. I was a little scared too when I saw the word "final', but it's good to know it was just "finalized!" Can't wait!!!

briana said...

Yay!! I can't wait til the next book is out!! I think I read the last one in a day and a half. I was a little scared too when I saw the word "final', but it's good to know it was just "finalized!" Can't wait!!!

cs harris said...

Liz, thank you. I admire anyone who can knit; I always drop stitches, and I can never keep an even tension.

Briana, not long now. I just heard the ARCs come out October 2nd.

Firefly said...

I can't wait for the next book. Really really looking forward to it!!

Bexbuggy said...

I can't believe I just found this blog. And I've been looking weekly for a new book. You are my new favorite author. Please keep them coming!! I love St. Cyr, Hero, Paul and .....you get the idea! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

michael kors
timberland canada
louis vuitton
fake watches
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton
prada bags
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet
prada bags
michael kors outlet
running warehouse
louis vuitton
abercrombie outlet
jordan 9
cheap jerseys
true religion outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
jeremy scott adidas
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
coach factory outlet online
coach outlet stores online
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
air jordan 8
true religion kids
ray ban eyeglasses
ray ban glasses
white timberland boots
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors
mont blanc mountain
ray ban sunglass
hollister outlet
true religion outlet online
20150706xiong